Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Cup of Coffee in the 2nd Grade

Thirty years later I have three girls (l-r) Katelyn (7), Allie (9), Shannon (7).  Katelyn and Shannon are fraternal twins. Sept. 2010

After some pretty stellar attendance my first year and a half of grade school, the second half of second grade, ruined my attendance run.  I missed a lot of school from January through May of 1981.  Even when I was in attendance, how much schooling I was absorbing was a good question.  It's hard enough to focus when you are seven and sitting at a desk, but when you are sick, tired, in pain, or checking to see when you need to drain your catheter bag, it's nearly impossible.



One of the hardest parts of returning to school was going outside for recess.  Watching everyone play three separate times per day, while sitting on your butt, was tough to take.  It was the time I hated being sick the most. 

Feb. 6 - Full day of school.  Codeine for pain in penis, urine through penis again today.  hungry today and sore jaw starting again. 

Pain in my penis?  Reading this in the journal I remember now how often this occurred.  I don't know exactly why it hurt so often, but I would get a stinging pain that wouldn't go away.  It's just never a good place to have stinging pain, no matter how old you are.

Feb. 7 - Increased pain in penis. In bed most of the day, codeine @ 1000.  napped 3h.

Feb. 8 - Up, gd I&O (don't know what she meant) codeine 2030 (my mom used military time)

Feb. 9 - WBC 4.9 RBC 4.6 Hgb 12 (hemoglobin, range 13.2-16.9 low levels indicate anemia).  Vincristine, Cytoxan, UA (urinalysis).  Dr. Martin and Vermillion checked catheter, removed stitches.  Weight 50 #

Feb. 10 - Dulcolax supp., increase pain, codeine 1930, increase pain in the...(you know what).   Complained of stomach ache, school all day. 

Feb. 11-12 - codeine/tylenol, school, B&O supp.

Feb. 13 - played outside.  good day. B & O supp.  (B&O Supprettes Suppositories,
treat moderate to severe pain due to spasms of the urinary tract.
B & O Supprettes Suppositories are an anticholinergic and analgesic combination. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle of the urinary tract and relieving pain.)

Feb. 14 - B&O supp. @ 1330, mineral oil.  1300 intake, 1225 out.  up - playful, excellent weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment