Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baby Steps

July 2nd, 1977, I was a ring bearer at my Uncle Chuck's wedding.  Had to add this pic, the tuxes are sweet. 
The original "dumb and dumber" tux!

Radiation started again March 18th after a one day break.  I was nearing the end of the radiation treatments I would receive on my lungs, 13 total.  It was great to end one stage of the radiation and it also marked a step forward toward the end of my treatment.  First to complete would be the lung radiation, then radiation completely, and finally the chemotherapy.  It was really the best way to handle this process, break it into smaller segments and knock off one at a time.  The radiation on my lungs left me with small scars in the middle of my back.


3/18 - Radiation resumed, whole day of school.  Gaviscon x 2.  B&O 1/2 @ 1600 & 2100.  1000 intake mostly milk.  

3/19 - 1/2 B&O @1640 drank milk shake, clamped catheter 1 hr. 15 min., no sensation to void - unclamped and then to bed.  Radiation of lungs completed! 13 treatments given to lungs.  Pelvis 19 left to go.  1/2 B&O supp. 2230. very poor appetite.

3/20 - Vitamin, Phenergan 1400, Gaviscon 1/2 @ 1145, complained of headache, Tylenol @ school, nap.  urine through penis.  Macrodantin (This medication is used to treat or prevent certain urinary tract infections.) BID (x2) today.  1/2 B&O @2000. 

3/21 - B&O 1/2 @0400 Macrodactin x2, Vitamin, clamped cath. 45 min. B&O 1430 & 2030, urine thru penis, ate some steak, fussy, whiney day.  Proctofoam started (used to temporarily relieve pain and itching from insect bites; poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac; minor cuts, scrapes, or burns; minor skin irritation or rashes; or dry, itchy skin. Pramoxine also may be used to treat soreness, burning, itching, and pain from hemorrhoids and other minor rectal irritations or itching. Pramoxine is in a class of medications called topical anesthetics. It works by stopping nerves from sending pain signals.)  More stinging in the penis, 1/2 B&O given.

Sun. 3/22 - Macrodantin, Vitamin, Phenergan 1000, C/O stomach ache, napped x2, did not clamp cahteter today, fussy. 

I remember getting a lot of suppositories, but going through my mom's journal, I do not remember this many.  It must have been an awful job to have to do that to your 7-year old son multiple times per day.  With my inability to swallow pills and as much as I would throw up due to bad taste, bad smell, and just sick from the chemo, it was the only option to get medicine in me.  Again this falls back into the category of how important it was my mom was a registured nurse.

1 comment:

  1. As your radiation was ending, the radiologist told me we would need to watch you in 20 years for cancer caused by what you were getting then. Just what you want to hear when your chances were 50/50 at that time.

    ReplyDelete