Monday, April 11, 2011

Road Trip

Boulder Little League, Billings, MT.  T-Ball. I played P/1B which should tell you something about my t-ball skills
back in the day.

One of the best memories I have during the time I was sick was going to my first Major League Baseball game in Seattle.  As a young kid I liked the New York Yankees.  They were good in the late '70's and early 80's, so I was on the bandwagon.  I was also a Reggie Jackson fan as he hit a lot of home runs.  Through some family connections to MLB scouts, I was able to get a baseball signed by the 1981 Yankees when we went to see them play the Mariners in May of 1981.  Jackson hit a home run during the series and for a brief couple days we put Cancer behind us and enjoyed life.


5/4/81 - Foley cath D.C., up 4 x in the night, two tub baths for comfort 

5/5/81 - school all day, @1430 unable to void, by 1600 in pain and bladder spasms again.  Dr. Martin and kelker called, 5mg Valium, tub bath - no relief. To Deaconess ER, Foley Cath inserted again.  Slept well except for coughing spells, up 3x for water. 

-So I got to "enjoy" one day without a catheter before it was stuck back in....

5/6/81 - 49 lbs., WBC 7.300 RBC 4.1, HGB 11.1 HCT 34.4 Neutrophils 84, 506 Platelets, DC Ditropan

5/7/81 - Left for our trip to Seattle.  Stayed in Spokane at Marilyn Larson's, old friend of Todd's. Up 2x during night, Valium 5mg.  Eddie slept with Todd. 

-We moved to Spokane in August of 1986, the start of my 8th grade year, so my mom could attend Anesthesia school and become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA).  

5/8/81- Drove to Seattle and stayed with Mimi.  (Mimi is a Dr. in Seattle and one of my mom's closest life long friends.  She has a daughter, Lori, who is a year older than I am and a son Kyle who is near my brother's age.  Lori and I were at Gonzaga University together for a couple years.  They work in their dad's family business in California. http://albertmgt.com/Executive-Team~183058~15374.htm ).   

5/9/81 - Went to the ball game, M's won 6-5.  Saw Reggie Jackson hit Home run and double. 

5/10/81 - Yankees won 5-2!  Eddie really enjoyed games.  Bladder spasms started up again.  Having difficulty walking.  Up 1x during night. 

5/11/81 - Bladder spasms during day a bit.  Todd and I went out for anniversary dinner.  (Oh yeah....my mom and dad were married and trying to have a somewhat normal life from time to time.  They were married May 13, 1972 in Miles City, MT) 

5/12/81 - Todd drove back to Billings, called 2345 MT time. 8" of snow in Blgs.  Sunny day in Seattle and went to Gas Works park, fed ducks & picnic.  Up at night 2x.

5/13/81 - to park - Eddie twisted ankle again.  

5/17/81 - Home to Billings on Northwest.  Eddie excited for the flight.  

A nice break was over and it was back to work.     

No comments:

Post a Comment